- A Y Darshankar, Leadership in Panchayati Raj, Jaipur, Panchsheel, 1979,
- Abdul Nazir Sab, "Towards a four pillar state," in George
Mathew op. cit., p.53.
- Abhijit Datta, "Decentralisation
and Local Government Reform in India," Indian Journal of Public
Administration, Vol. XXXI, No. 3, July-September, 1985, p.562.
- All India Congress Committee (A.I.C.C.), Report of the Congress
Village Panchayat Committee (New Delhi, 1954), p. 10-11.
- Ashok Bajpai and M S Verma, Panchayati Raj in India- A new Thrust,
Vol. I & II, New Delhi, Sahitya, 1995.
- Asoka Mehta committee : Government of India, Report of the Committee
on Panchayati Raj Institutions, Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation,
Department of Rural Development, (New Delhi, 1978), p. 4.
- Association of Voluntary Agencies for Rural development (AVARD),
Report of a Study Team on Panchayati Raj in Rajasthan (New Delhi, 1962).
- B S Khanna, Panchayati Raj in India-Rural Local Self Government,
New Delhi, Deep & Deep, 1994.
- B.S. Bhargava, Panchayati Raj Institutions - An Analysis of Issues,
Problems and recommendations of Ashok Mehta Committee, New Delhi,
Ashish, 1979, pp42-43.
- Bandopadhyay, D. (1997), "Voluntary Organisations and Panchayats" Mainstream,
- Bidyut Mohanti, "Panchayati Raj, 73rd Constitutional Amendment
and Women," Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXX, No.52, December
- "District Primary Education Programmes and Panchayats: A Fractured
Relationship", Panchayati Raj update, August1999, Institute of
Social Sciences, New Delhi.
- Directorate of Panchayats, Government of Haryana, Chandigarh, 1999.
- E.S. Venkataramiah, "MPs' Consistency Development Scheme: Assaulting
the Constitution" The Indian Express, New Delhi, February 13,
- Elphinstone, History of India, London, John Murray, 1905,p.108.
- G Planithurai, (ed.), Empowering People, New Delhi, Kanishka, 1996.
- G Ram Reddy, (ed.), Pattern of Panchayati Raj in India, Delhi, Macmillan,
- G. Ram Reddy, (ed.), Patterns of Panchayati Raj in India, op. cit.,
- George Mathew and Ramesh C Nayak, "Panchayats at work-What it
means for the Oppressed?" Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.
XXXI, No. 27, July 1996, pp1765-71.
- George Mathew and Ramesh C. Nayak, "Panchayats at work: What it
mean for the Oppressed", Economic and political weekly, Vol. XXXI,
No. 27, 6 July 1996, pp. 1765-1771.
- George Mathew, " Transfer of Power to the Local Bodies" Kurukshetra,
Vol. XLIV, No.7, April 1996, pp22-34.
- George Mathew, "institution of self government in India: Towards
Multilevel Federalism", Review of Development and change, Vol.
II, No. 2, July -December 1997, Madras institute of development studies,
- George Mathew, "Kerala's Success Story", The Hindu; "People's
plan: Kerala's success story", Kurukshetra, Ministry of Rural
development, Government of India, Vol. 47, No. 11, August 1999, pp.
- George Mathew, "Local Government: Where State and Civil Society
Meet" in Rajendra K. Sali and Ajit Muricken (eds.), Transcending
Boundaries: Perspectives on Faith, Social Action and Solidarity, Bombay,
- George Mathew, "Decentralised Institutions: Governmental and Voluntary
Sector", Economic and Political Weekly, Vol XXXIV, NO. 9, February
- George Mathew, Panchayati Raj-From Legislation to Movement, New
Delhi, Concept, 1994.
- Government of India, Report of the Team for the Study of Community
Projects and National Extension Service, (Chairperson: Balvantray
Mehta), Committee on Plan Projects, National Development Council, (New
Delhi, November 1957), Vol. I, p.23.
- Government of Kerala, Committee on Decentralisation (Chairperson:
S.B. Sen), Second Interim report, 1996, pp. 19-20.
- H. D. Malaviya, Village Panchayat in India, Economic and Political
Research Department, All India Congress Committee (New Delhi, 1956),
- H.D. Malaviya, op.cit.,p.221.
- Hargian Singh, Panchayati Raj Administration in Haryana, Gurgaon,
- Harijan, July 26, 1942.
- Hoshiyar Singh, " Constitutional Base for Panchayati Raj in India," pp
- Hoshiyar Singh, " Decentralisation Through Constitution (Seventy
Third Amendment) Act," op. cit., pp22-25.
- Hoshiyar Singh, "Constitutional Base For Panchayati Raj in India," Asian
Survey, Vol. XXXIV, No.9, 1994, p.819.
- Hoshiyar Singh, "Decentralisation Models and Responsive Administration-Need
of 21st century Administration," Research Journal, Kurukshetra
University, Kurukshetra, Vol. XXX - XXXI, 1996-97, pp2-3.
- Hoshiyar Singh, "Decentralised Through Constitution (Seventy Third
Amendment Act)," Kurukshetra, May1993 pp22-23.
- Human development report 2000, Oxford University press, New York
2000, p. 39. The UNDP Human Development Report 2000 has highlighted
the role of MKSS in the fight for right to information.
- Indira Hirway, "Panchayati Raj at Crossroads," Economic
and Political Weekly, July 22, 1989, p. 1664.
- Janmabhoomi, An Innovative approach to Participatory Development
In Andhra Pradesh, NIDR, Rajendranagar, Hydrabad, 1998,p.38.
- Janta dal Publication, The Basic of Democratic Decentralization:
Report on Panchayat an Self Government, (New Delhi, 1989).
- L.C. Jain et. al, op .cit "Foreword". For the role political
expediency has played in stifling the growth of Panchayati Raj institutions,
- L.C. Jain, et al. Grass Without roots, Sage Publications (New Delhi,
- L.P. Shukla, A History of Village Panchayats in India, Institute
of Economic Research, (Dharwar, 1964), p. 10.
- M R Biju, Dynamics of New Panchayati Raj System, New Delkhi, Kanishka,
- M. Venkatarangaiya, and M. Pattabhiram (eds.). 1969, Local Government
in India: Select Readings, Allied Publishers (Bombay, 1969),p.97.
- M. Venkatarangaiya, and M. Pattabhiram, op. cit. pp.97-103.
- M.A. Oommen and Mahi Pal "Local Area Development Scheme: Dangerous
Portent" Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. XXIX, No. 5, January
29, 1994, pp 223-25.
- M.K. Gandhi, "My Idea of Village Swaraj," Harijan, 26
- Madhav Godbole, " Right to Information", Economic and
Political Weekly, Vol. XXXV, No. 17, April 22-28, 2002, pp. 1423-28.
- Mahi Pal, " Centralised decentralization-The Haryana Panchayati
Raj Act-1994," Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XXIV, No. 29,
July 1994, pp1842-44.
- Mahi Pal, " Panchayats in Elections Manifestoes," Economic
and Political Weekly, Vol. XXXIII, No. 12, March 1998, pp631-32.
- Malcom S Adiseshiah, Decentralised Planning and Panchayati Raj,
New Delhi, Concept, 1994.
- Malcolm S. Adiseshiah, "The need for constitutional safeguards" in
George Mathew (ed.). Panchayati Raj in Karnataka Today. Its National
Dimension, concept publishing company (New Delhi, 1986) p.25.
- Mani Shankar Aiyar. "The Grass Root Upsurge", Indian Express,
December 1, 1998.
- Nirmal Mukarji, "The Alternative District Government?," in
M.L. Dantwala et al. (edn.), Rural Development. The Indian Experience,
Oxford, IBH, (New Delhi, 1986).
- Nirmal Mukarji, "The Third Stratum," Economic and Political
Weekly, May 1, 1993, pp. 859-62.
- Nirmal Mukherjee, "The Third Stratum," Economic and Political
Weekly, Vol. XXVIII, No.18, May 1993, pp859-62.
- P K Jha and Chandana Jha, Panchayati Raj and Dynamics of Rural Development,
Delhi, Apex, 1999.
- Panchayati Raj Update, Institute of Social Sciences, New Delhi,
- Peoples Campaign for 9th plan: An approach Paper, Kerala State Planning
Board, Trivendrum, 1996, p.1.
- Philip Oldernburg, Non-Governmental Organisations and Panchayati
Raj, New Delhi AVARD and PRIA, 1999.
- Prabhat Datta, " The Gram Sabha Experience, Frontline, 30 July,
1999, p. 52.
- R P Joshi, (ed.), Constitutionalisation of Panchayati Raj, Jaipur,
- R. L. Khanna, Panchayati Raj in India, The English Book Depot (Ambala
- Raj Singh, Panchayati Raj Manuals, New Delhi, Anmol, 1996.
- Ramesh Nayak's field work by (ISS), in Alwar, Kota and Pali District
of Rajasthan, 1996-2000.
- S N Mishra and S S Singh, Roads to Modern Panchayati Raj, New Delhi,
- S N Mishra, " Five Years of New Panchayati Raj System-A Review," Kurukshetra,
Vol. XLIV, No. 6, April 1998, pp15-18.
- S N Mishra, " The 73rd Constitutional Amendment and the Local
Resource Base: A Critical Appraisal," Kurukshetra, Vol. XLIV,
No.7, April 1996, pp35-38.
- S N Mishra, Lokesh Kumar and Chaitali Pal, New Panchayati Raj in
Action, New Delhi, Mittal, 1996.
- S P Jain and C P Vithal, "Structure of Panchayati Raj in Haryana," Quarterly
Journal of All India Institute of Local Self- Government, Bombay, Vol.LXX,
No. 1-2, January-June, 1999, p17.
- S P Jain and C P Vithal, "Structure of Panchayati Raj in Haryana," op.
- S V Sharan, Panchayati Raj Training in Madhya Pradesh: An evaluation,
Institute of Social Sciences, Manuscript Report-11, (1998).
- Surat Singh, " Haryana Panchayati Raj Legislation- A critical
Review," Journal of Rural Development, Vol. XIV. No.1, pp45-52.
- Shweta Mishra, Democratic Decentralistion in India, New Delhi, Mittal,
- The Constitution (Seventy Third Amendment) Act, 1992, The Gazette
of India, Ministry of Law, Justice and Company Affairs, New Delhi,
- The Haryana Panchayati Raj Act, 1994, Government of Haryana, Legislative
Department, Haryana Government Gazette, Chandigarh, 1994.
- The Hindustan Times (Delhi), 3 October 1959.
- The Hindustan Times, 21 August 1998, New Delhi; The Indian Express,
21 August 1998, New Delhi and P. Sainath, "Workshop of the real
world", The Hindu, 26 June 1998, New Delhi.
- The Times of India, December 24,1993.
- United Nations, Social Progress Through Community Development, New